The safety of our customers and employees is our priority.Read the latest
How to check your BMW's engine oil levels
Check your oil levels quickly and easily
Checking the oil level on your BMW is among the most important tasks you can carry out, as it is vital to the smooth running of your car’s engine. Not only is it one of the easiest vehicle maintenance tasks to carry out, but it also takes very little time to complete once you know how.
How to check your engine oil
To check your BMW’s oil level, simply:
- Make sure the engine is turned off and the handbrake is applied.
- Open the bonnet and locate the dipstick within the engine bay. It usually has a yellow handle. If in doubt, refer to your BMW’s owner’s manual.
- Pull the dipstick out carefully, making sure that no oil drips onto the engine.
- Clean the oil off with a paper towel.
- Reinsert the dipstick into the tube until it is fully seated.
- Pull the dipstick out again and check the oil level, which should be between the “high” and “low” markers. Refer to your owner’s manual if you’re not sure.
- Once you identify where the oil level is on the dipstick, return the dipstick back in its place.
- If the oil level is low, unscrew the oil tank’s cap, twist off and pour in the required amount of oil, then screw the cap back on.
- If you are unsure of anything, please refer to your BMW’s owner’s manual beforehand.
How to top up your BMW’s oil level?
If the oil level is low in your BMW, topping up your oil tank can easily be done at home, without the need to go to a garage. Make sure that you have the same grade oil as what is already in your oil tank. Your BMW’s owner’s manual will specify what oil grade you need and whether you will need to use synthetic oil.
- Ensure the engine is turned off and the handbrake is applied.
- Open the bonnet and locate the oil tank cap, which is clearly marked. If you’re not sure what it looks like, check your BMW’s owner’s manual.
- Unscrew the cap and twist off. Pour in the required amount of oil until the level reads as “full”.
- Screw the cap back on and close your bonnet.
Should you not feel confident in refilling your oil levels unassisted, you can get in touch with your local Barons & Chandlers BMW dealership and our staff will be happy to help.
How often should you check your oil levels?
We recommend checking your BMW’s oil level at least once a month, and before you set off on a long journey. Your BMW’s engine oil levels should be checked on a regular basis, especially in older models. If your engine is leaking oil or burning oil at a fast pace, it is important that you recognise it before irreparable damage is done. Checking your oil on a regular basis and keeping up to date with your services is vital for older cars.
How often should you change the oil in your BMW?
Keeping track of how often your oil is changed is also important; over time the oil will turn darker until it’s eventually black when it should be an amber colour. This is an indication that your oil is ready to be changed, however, a more reliable guide is the amount of mileage accrued since the last time it was changed. When you book your BMW in for a service, your oil will be changed along with the oil filter, so it is recommended that you keep your car’s service history up to date.
Get in touch for more advice
If you need any further guidance, advice on which oil is best for your BMW or would like to book your car in for an oil change or service, get in touch with your nearest Barons & Chandlers BMW dealership. Our team of BMW experts are on hand to provide you with the support you need, so you can get the best possible performance out of your vehicle.
Barons BMW Bedford
Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK41 0GL
Barons BMW Borehamwood Aftersales
Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1LT
Barons BMW Cambridge
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB23 6EF
Barons BMW Farnborough Aftersales
Ash Vale, Surrey, GU12 5QF
Barons BMW Hindhead
Hindhead, Surrey, GU26 6AE
Barons BMW Kentish Town Aftersales
Kentish Town, London, NW5 3EX
Barons BMW Ruislip Aftersales
South Ruislip, Middlesex, HA4 0NU
Barons BMW Stansted
Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, CM23 2BT
Barons BMW Watford Aftersales
Watford, Hertfordshire, WD24 7RY
Chandlers BMW Brighton
Brighton, East Sussex, BN41 1YH
Chandlers BMW Hailsham
Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 3UA
Chandlers BMW Worthing
Littlehampton, West Sussex, BN16 3FH